Teacher Environmental Education Certification
Research has shown that well-integrated, nature-based educational activities can improve children’s academic achievement, behavior, well-being, and physical development. In light of this and to help teachers effectively educate and inspire their students to be knowledgeable and committed stewards of the environment, we offer professional development workshops that train and certify educators in three of the most well-respected environmental education curricula: Project Learning Tree, Project WET, & Project WILD.
Project Learning Tree advances environmental literacy and promotes stewardship through excellence in environmental education, professional development, and curriculum resources that use trees and forests as windows into the world.
Project WET’s mission is to promote awareness of water and empower community action to solve complex water issues by providing training workshops on diverse water topics so that educators can reach children with objective, experiential, science-based water education.
The goal of Project WILD is to develop awareness, knowledge, skills, and commitment resulting in informed decisions, responsible behavior, and constructive actions concerning wildlife and the environment.
The following information applies to all teacher environmental education certification courses offered by Keep Omaha Beautiful:
- Participants include early childhood educators and K-12 teachers.
- Courses are offered at no cost to participants (*but there may be an upfront registration fee that is reimbursed upon completion of the training).
- Through these workshops, participants become certified in the respective environmental education curriculum and gain the knowledge and hands-on experiences to help them engage their young learners in environmental education activities.
- Participants will receive a curriculum guide full of lesson plans and activities (that align with academic standards) that can be used in outdoor and indoor settings throughout the entire year.
- As certified environmental educators, participants are also granted online access to additional resources.
- KOB provides ongoing support to help educators fully integrate environmental education into their teaching.
Upcoming Course Offerings
Sustainable Steps for Little Learners - Growing Up Wild Workshop
Tuesday, June 22 from 6:30-8:00 pm
To Register: Email Ingrid at email@example.com
1.5 hours of CEUs provided. This workshop is free, but registration is required.
Kids are never too young to learn how to care for the Earth. Teaching young children about sustainability is a great way for them to learn empathy and responsibility while relating to the natural world around them! Join Keep Omaha Beautiful and KidSquad for a FREE professional development workshop for educators. Learn simple, practical ways to engage young children while incorporating sustainable practices into daily routines. Key takeaways include:
- A Growing Up Wild curriculum book (an award-winning environmental education program)
- Activities and ideas designed to encourage a mindful use of resources
- Tips and tricks for establishing more sustainable routines at your learning center