Keep Omaha Beautiful is committed to litter reduction, community beautification, and education on recycling and environmental stewardship in the Omaha area.
Keep Omaha Beautiful is one of the oldest environmental nonprofit organizations in Nebraska, dating back to 1959 when it was started by Mary “Deanie” Anderson under the name City Beautification Unlimited. Shortly thereafter, the name changed to the Mayor’s Committee for City Beautification, Inc. and then officially became known as Keep Omaha Beautiful, Inc. in 1964. Ms. Anderson served as the executive director until her death in 1990. At that point, Cindy Smilley became the second executive director and moved the offices from the Omaha Livestock Exchange Building to the Omaha/Douglas County Civic Center. Ms. Smilley led the organization for 25 years. After her retirement in December 2015, the Board of Directors selected Chris Stratman to take over the role.
Since the beginning, our organization has always focused on litter reduction, community beautification, and environmental education.
We are also an affiliate of Keep America Beautiful. There are 22 affiliates throughout Nebraska.