ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION & COMMUNITY OUTREACH
We believe that environmental education is an essential part of connecting people to the natural world. Our goals are to facilitate learning that is interactive and provide information that equips people with practical ways to engage in our community and care for the world around us.
As part of our commitment to educating people about issues connected to environmental stewardship, we conduct interactive activities and presentations at no charge to schools and community groups. Our educational activities and presentations are designed to integrate with an organization/teacher’s current curriculum or introduce a new topic. All our presentations are aligned to Nebraska Academic Content Standards. They are adapted to the age of the group and can be tailored to various subjects such as science, art, literature, math, and the social or physical sciences. Outreach topics include:
- Green Heroes: Nature's Recyclers - (recommended for grades 2-6) A hands-on investigation of decomposer organisms to explore how nature organically reuses, and recycles. Students gain an understanding of how to apply these ideas to their daily lives.
- Daily Environmental Stewardship - (recommended for all academic levels) An in-depth exploration of waste reduction, recycling, and composting. Students dive deep into how to live a sustainable lifestyle and learn that simple daily actions have a positive environmental impact.
- Only Rain Down the Storm Drain - (recommended for grades 2 and up) Students gain a better understanding of how humans impact water quality, the benefits of stormwater management, and how to help prevent water pollution.
- Healthy Trees and Unwanted Pests - (recommended for grades 5 and up) Healthy trees are an essential part of our urban ecosystem. Students explore the benefits of trees, the challenges they face (such as diseases and invasive pests), and how to care for them.
Don't see what you're looking for but interested in Keep Omaha Beautiful's education and outreach activities? Send us a message, we can easily tailor activities to fit your needs!
Complete a Registration Request Form, call 402-546-3610 or email Hannah.Rennard-Ganley@cityofomaha.org for more information.
For interested groups, we also provide opportunities for students and citizens to volunteer and/or participate in service-learning style projects that extend the learning beyond the classroom/presentation setting, such as (but not limited to):
- Litter Cleanups (parks, streams, trails, and dam sites - Groups remove litter and recyclable items from selected areas and discuss the importance of keeping our ecosystems clean and healthy. Cleanup events also provide opportunities to analyze the waste collected and discuss questions connected to materials management.
- Storm Drain Labeling - Groups help remove debris from storm inlets in a designated neighborhood and place “no dumping” discs on the storm drains. Information on water pollution prevention and the importance of managing stormwater are tied into the labeling events.
- Recycling Enhancements & Tracking - Groups interested in starting, increasing, and/or tracking recycling and waste reduction efforts can consult with us and receive literature and resources to support sustainability in their schools or small organizations.
Ready for a Keep Omaha Beautiful outreach activity? Complete a Registration Request Form.
Call 402-546-3610 or email Hannah.Rennard-Ganley@cityofomaha.org for more information.
Interested in additional resources connected to environmental education? Check out our RESOURCES section.